Job Description – Foreman/Field Engineer
At Wired Communications, we consider structured cabling and low voltage cabling systems to be a strategic piece of the over-all technology solution; you must know the IT network and communications systems to know this business. Yet we better our business by broaden our core competencies through understanding that in many cases the cabling work is construction industry driven or related, and therefore our approach and who we employ requires a unique set of skillsets, knowledge, and capabilities. Wired Communications designs, builds, and supports the industries best cabling solutions and to advance that objective we maintain a team of exceptional people that truly enjoy their work and bring proof of value by demonstrating a high level of expertise for the client, company, and themselves.
The Operations Team is looking for a talented individual who is passionate about the Information Communications Technology (ICT) business and capable of working as a lead foreman or field engineer to design, implement, and maintain cabling infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will possess a very strong cabling infrastructure background with knowledge of networking architecture and commercial construction practices that positions them to assess, comprehend, and excel in varying situations. To be a qualified candidate for this role you must have experience with the physical installation and troubleshooting of cabling infrastructure inclusive of category 5e, 6, 6a, multi-pair copper, coax, and fiber optics and display a validated ability to lead and manage field based resources on large-scale projects. The qualified candidate knows the industry standards and can apply them in the field, in a wide range of situations/job conditions. This person knows the cabling infrastructure, design methods, installation, and testing best practices relating to material selection, performance, functionality, application, and intended use of a multitude of products.
At Wired Communications we expect a Foreman – Field engineer to complete all installations, service/maintenance and moves, adds or changes in accordance to industry standards and best practices. The qualified candidate must be independent enough to adapt to a multitude of conditions while maintaining compliance and consistency in the work. This position has a considerable amount of latitude in performing work. The exact circumstances are sometimes unknown at the time the project is initiated and the Foreman – Field Engineer must use their judgment in selecting the materials and method to be used to complete the work assignment. Choices are limited by Wired Communication policies and procedures, industry standards and by safety considerations.
This is a role for an experienced structured cabling Foreman - Field Engineer with understanding of commercial construction, electrical principles, and voice/data/video networks.
You must be passionate about the client experience, think and act professionally, and want to contribute with innovative actions that benefit our objectives as a company.
Do you believe this role is a good fit and are up for a new challenge?
Role Responsibilities and Requirements:
· Establishes professional relationships and effectively communicates with all those involved in projects.
· Project management, organization and problem solving skills with a drive for results and the ability to handle multiple task.
· Ability to work extended hours to include early morning, late evenings and on weekends as needed.
· Ability to work efficiently under high pressure to meet tight project milestones and deadlines
· Ability to complete and submit accurate documentation.
· Communicates consistently to maintain accurate reports and project updates.
o Informs management of any issue or concern prior to the issue putting the organization at risk.
· Ensures timely completion of assigned projects, within scope and budget, and with complete client satisfaction.
o Plans and analyzes assigned projects, establishes schedules and project parameters, and sets procedures with field teams and vendors to accomplish system objectives.
o Manages scope-creep and reacts in a timely manner to report/document changes to scope/schedule.
o Reviews changes to scope with Wired Team and communicates potential impacts to key project stakeholders.
o Manages client and projects in the creation / tracking of change orders and work receipts.
· Works hand-in-hand with the GM of Operations and Project Managers in developing resource schedules, manpower allocation, all material related assignments (BOM generation, receipt, inventory), communicating as tasks are completed, changes in project scope, site-surveys, vendor management, field activities, quality control, and all other tasks related to the successful completion of the project.
o Prepares project status reports, close out reporting, red-line drawings, key sheets, as-built documentation, and completes warranty information and submission.
o Facilitates regular meetings with client/stakeholders to track all components of the project.
o Plans, schedules and performs site surveys to identify project requirements.
o Monitors and manages multiple concurrent cabling infrastructure projects.
o Demands high standards of quality workmanship, tracks production, and monitors safety procedures.
o Ensures project cabling infrastructure installations adhere to time constraints.
· Anticipates, plans, and proactively develops work-around procedures/mitigation strategies to accommodate delays and/or interruptions of work.
· Supervises and supports contractors to include coordinating access requests, establishes clear directions, sets objectives on work and results, and provides feedback on vendor performance to Project Manager.
o Ensures assigned contractors understand and comply with any Wired or Client stated security and safety policies and procedures.
· Ability to interpret engineering, architectural, and construction plans, drawings and specifications, and knowledge of building and mechanical/electrical codes is required.
· Strictly follows project paperwork flow from booking to completion.
· Attends all relevant project meetings and reports current status of assigned projects to key Project Manager.
· Assists engineers with infrastructure design and engineering initiatives.
· Must work well with little supervision individually and in a team environment.
· Direct oversight/responsibility for all onsite resources (Resources include staff, tools, equip, and material).
o Tracking of technicians hours and preliminary review of time sheets
· Materials & Asset Management
· Ability to lift items unassisted that weigh up to 70 pounds, using step ladders and ladders to climb up to 15 feet. This work may require individual to work in less than ideal conditions including attic spaces, underground tunnels and man holes.
· This position may have an on-call component, which would require response to client premises at odd hours or on weekends.
· Minimum High School diploma/GED equivalency, desire Associates degree or higher with IT networking related curriculum.
· Minimum 5 years of field based structured cabling, ICT, network infrastructure experience.
· Minimum 2 years as lead tech/foreman with experience managing, leading, and training people in the field.
· BICSI and/or other industry standard or manufacturer certifications.
· Must have experience knowledge, skills and be proficient using computers and software applications.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Outlook and Visio.
· Must have experience with Fluke cable testers & management software.
o Ability to use and interpret test equipment (Power Meter/Light Source, OTDR, VFL, Network Analyzer, Copper/Fiber cabling test equipment).
o Experience with fault isolating and troubleshooting cabling infrastructure using OTDR and copper testers within live/in production voice/data/video networks.
· Possesses excellent written and spoken interpersonal communication skills.
· Must be able to direct employees and contractors effectively and efficiently in installation of cabling infrastructure, basic network equipment, and telephone devices.
· Must understand basic telephony architecture, copper multi-pair frames and cross-connect, color code, and connectivity of telephone systems and devices.
· Understands enterprise size network architecture, familiar with primary network equipment and purpose such as switches, routers, servers, hubs, media converters, transceivers, and ups.
· Understands networking access methods such as Ethernet and corresponding standards from IEEE.
· Understands current trends of structured cabling infrastructure operating in large scale enterprise networks and data centers.
· Demonstrate a clear knowledge of industry codes, standards, and methods such as IEEE, ANSI, TIA, EIA, BICSI, NEC, NFPA, and OSHA.
· All candidates must possess a valid driver's license, their own vehicle, and will need to pass a driving record to check to operate company vehicles
Our primary business is in the information and communications technology (ICT) sector as defined by BICSI. Our focus encompasses the areas of our industry known as: Information Transport Systems, Structured Cabling, Low Voltage Cabling, Fiber Optics, Category 5E/6/6A Copper, Coax, Outside Plant Fiber, Copper Backbone, Audio/Visual Cabling, Paging Services, 24/7 Emergency Services, Testing Services, Fiber Splice Repair, Wireless Consulting & Installation, Data Center Cabling & Services, Smart Board Installation, and Security Cabling with the associated engineering, design, installation, and consulting services.