Assistant Community Manager
Full Time/Nonexempt position
Job Location: Woodbridge Apartment Homes, 450-Unit Community
Under the general direction of the Community Manager, the Assistant Community Manager will assist in effective management of the assigned property of Birge & Held Asset Management, (the “Company). Assistant Community Managers will be self-motivated, creative and energetic with the ability to multi-task and bring experience and expertise to the position. This position’s primary role is leasing and will be expected to perform all duties as such. In addition, the Assistant Community Manager will work with the Community Manager and other team members to see that each property follows and abides by all company polices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other laws pertaining to apartments.
- Provide follow-though and assistance to Community Manager and support staff in coordinating the on-going maintenance of the property.
- Supervise apartment community staff in the absence of the Community Manager.
- Assist the Community Manager as needed by demonstrating good communication skills and by understanding company and divisional goals, policies and procedures.
- By example, encourage employee development and teamwork through effective personnel management and by communicating clear standards.
- Set appointments, show apartments, certify potential residents and maintain a high percentage of occupancy.
- Perform primary duties using a computer system and must keep current on system changes.
- Manage processing of applications to ensure rapid turnover of vacant apartments while following selection criteria.
- Ensure new residents are properly moved in and complete move-in inspection form.
- May coordinate the completion of resident renovations and maintenance work orders.
- Ensure departing residents are properly moved out and all paperwork is completed including final account statements and collections packets.
- Maintain positive customer relations with current and prospective residents.
- Enforce response procedures regarding resident concerns such as; work order requests, noise complaints, etc.
- Communicate frequently with Community Manager and District Manager on vital needs of the community.
- Enforce lease and other government rules and regulations, including Fair Housing laws, building safety, health codes, and local ordinances.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with tenants, contractors, local community and groups or associations.
- Maintain constant vendor/contractor communication concerning work scheduling, billing, and certificates of insurance.
- Ensure that all reports including traffic and availability reports, file inspection, lease renewal and delinquency are complete and filed timely and efficiently.
- Resolve day-to-day resident problems and concerns including maintenance, parking, rent or other charges, safety and security.
- Communicate important information to residents with well-written and professional notices.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Community Manager or other Leadership staff.
- Continue to adapt and innovate for maximum efficiency and profitability in a dynamic environment.
Desired Skills and Competencies:
- An understanding of NOI, and cash flow.
- Must be able to handle crisis appropriately.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in the organization, both verbally and in writing.
- A complete understanding of Fair Housing.
- A thorough understanding of apartment rent collection procedures.
- Effectively utilize and understand the Company’s property management software, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
Education and Experience:
- At least two (2) years of leasing and/or sales experience, preferably in the residential property industry.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail.
- Ability to perform at high levels in fast paced work environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and work demands.
- One-Site and Entrata experience preferred.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Competitive Compensation, retirement plan option, medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- A collaborative, progressive, team development environment.
- Paid holidays (to include your birthday!) and paid time off.
- Opportunities to make a difference in a growing and highly productive environment.
Birge & Held is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.
About this company
Birge & Held owns and manages multi-family assets across the country and is committed to serving not only our investors but those who live in our communities and our employees who devote their professional talents to the team’s success. We create profitable partnerships, an enriched work environment for our employees and best in class properties by doing the following: