Full Time/Non Exempt Position
Location: Woodbridge Apartments, a 450-unit community
The Maintenance Technician will assist with the day-to-day maintenance operations of the apartment community, aimed at maintaining Birge & Held’s continued success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, Fair Housing, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other laws pertaining to apartments.
- Inspect common areas and buildings to monitor the appearance, cleanliness, maintenance, attractiveness, and safety of the property.
- Ensure each assigned work order request is completed on a timely basis; request assistance as needed; report all problems, delays, etc.
- Coordinate daily activities by giving progress updates, communicate frequently with operations staff on daily activities and perform any tasks within the maintenance department.
- Repair and maintain all HVAC units, mechanical, electrical equipment, plumbing fixtures, structural facilities and grounds of the property.
- Maintain courteous helpful demeanor with residents, prospective residents, co-workers, vendors, etc.
- Perform administrative requirements, such as completing necessary forms, reports, etc., and submit as required and on a timely basis.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Property Manager and/or Maintenance Supervisor.
- Possible need for on-call responsibilities.
Desired Skills and Competencies:
- Above average oral communication skills.
- A proven track record for hands-on apartment maintenance skills.
- Must be self-motivated, able to complete assigned tasks and have the ability to negotiate competitive pricing of supplies and contracted work.
- Able to multi-task and prioritize work orders.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail.
- Able to perform at high levels in fast paced work environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and work demand.
- Able to think logically in order to troubleshoot, analyze situations, and make sound business decisions.
- Able to lift, push and pull up to 75 pounds.
Education and Experience:
- Formal technical training and/or equivalent job experience in heating, air conditioning is essential.
- Must possess a valid driver's license at time of hire and maintain thereafter as a term and condition of continued employment.
- HVAC certification preferred.
- EPA certification required for the handling of refrigerants or ability to get certified.
- Provide own hand tools.
- Able to operate all necessary tools to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Work orders should be completed within 24 hours, except emergencies, and unit turn around time of five (5) working days unless otherwise determined by the Community Manager.
- Experience in residential property maintenance is beneficial.
- Working knowledge of OSHA standards and other environmental safety standards.
- Able to perform a variety of duties in all types of weather.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Competitive compensation, 401k retirement plan option, medical insurance, life insurance, dental and vision.
- A collaborative, progressive, team development environment.
- Paid holidays and paid time off (including your birthday!).
- Opportunities to make a difference in a growing and highly productive environment.
Birge & Held is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.
About this company
Birge & Held owns and manages multi-family assets across the country and is committed to serving not only our investors but those who live in our communities and our employees who devote their professional talents to the team’s success. We create profitable partnerships, an enriched work environment for our employees and best in class properties by doing the following: