SUMMARY: We are seeking a strong plastics industry manager out of industrial manufacturing: automotive, plastics, stamping, etc. We are looking for a “determined, will not accept failure” type of manager who has significant experience as a change agent and who has been involved in problem solving and continuous improvement in the past. We are looking for someone who can play an integral role in improving teams, teamwork, and morale; and who can see through the excuses and take decisive action towards rectifying plant problems.
RESPONSIBILITY: You will have responsibility for all operations employees, supervisors, shipping, receiving, maintenance, and so forth. You will be a key part of prioritizing goals, and will establish clear accountability. You will ensure that the plant performance (efficiency and on time delivery) significantly improves.
FAIR. FIRM. CONSISTENT. We are looking for a “People Person”, but one who is a serious, fair, firm, and consistent manager who understands manufacturing, structured accountability, what’s needed in a turnaround, and how to motivate employees. We are looking for a good combination of trustworthiness, push, and pull in a team-based environment.
Plant Operations Manager - Responsibilities
- The Plant Operations Manager will assume operational responsibility for all plant operations and personnel for all departments. This includes manufacturing (efficiency), quality (ppm defects), shipping (on-time deliveries), safety (0 lost time injuries), etc.
- The Plant Operations Manager will establish budgets and strategic plans to accomplish corporate objectives for growth and profitability.
- The Plant Operations Manager will establish metrics for key areas of measurement and hold teams accountable to achieve or exceed these goals.
- Drive improvement as a way of life in the operations, including constantly improving metrics in key areas. A “war room” might be a good idea.
- Manage the P&L, driving all operations to meet or exceed budgets and strategic plans.
Plant Manager Qualifications
- A BS/BA degree is required.
- 10 years of experience as Production Manager, Operations manager, or Plant Manager or in a high volume, industrial manufacturing operation. Automotive experience would be welcomed. Military experience is welcomed.
- You MUST be a hard charging, get-things-done now sort of manager. Must be able to establish accountability immediately, and modify difficult employee behavior (or have the guts to make the decisions necessary to cull difficult people from the staff.
- Strong, metric-driven personality and methodology, and must drive the business for continual improvement of key metrics.
- Significant experience with formal continuous improvement methodologies.